I will have to think about this for a bit. I found the idea of buying somewhere to live at what was hopefully going to be the top of the market absurd; but house prices are starting to fall already in London, and Waltham Forest looks really quite affordable (as well as being handy for work and for friends). But I'd be surprised if they bottomed out by December; and I don't want to lose out on a bear market. I had been saying that I would see how the market looks like towards the end of the year and decide then; I guess this is still the plan.
Update: Actually, looking at the other pieces of paper more carefully, they in fact want me out by September the 17th. Confusing. Will phone.